By interacting with any page, you are giving consent to set cookies.
Buy one of our Gift card Voucher as a present.
Books, Music, Gaelic Football Jerseys, Maps, Photographs and more!
St Finbarr's walk: 27th-28th April / 17th-18th August 2019
From 28th June - 7th July 2019
From 12th-19th July 2019
From 21st-25th August 2019
14th September 2019: Ballingeary/Inchigeelagh Adventure Race
29th September 2019: Annual Pilgrimage in honour of St. Finbarr
4th - 5th October 2019: A weekend of various events as Gaeilge with the theme of theAn t-Athair Peadar- a Shaol agus a Shaothar
Escape to Gougane Barra for on ...
7-Day Advance Purchase / Non-R ...
Take time and unwind in our ho ...
Make it a Mini Holiday with 3 ...
We have been making this brown bread at Gougane Barra Hotel for ten years now. It goes well with soup or chowder, with smoked salmon on top of it and even for breakfast with butter and jam!
Makes 4 x 445g / 1 lb loaves or 2 x 890g / 2lb loaves
- 650g /1.5 lbs Extra coarse brown wholemeal flour
- 225g /0.5lb. Plain White flour
- 2tsp. Bread soda (bicarbonate of soda) sieved
- 100g /4 oz. Irish Butter
- 50g / 2 oz. Demerara Brown sugar (optional)
- 750ml Buttermilk
- 4 Free-range Eggs
- 3 dessert spoons of Treacle (warmed slightly)
- Handful of roughly chopped walnuts (optional)
- A handful of pinhead oatmeal and a little porridge oats can also be added if you like coarser bread
- Mix all of the dry ingredients very well in a mixing bowl.
- Beat the eggs with an electric mixer. Mix the melted butter with the warmed treacle.Add the eggs. Add ¾ of the buttermilk.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add all the liquid ingredients,do not add the remaining buttermilk unless you think you need to, it is quite a wet mixture (not possible to knead it) you should be able to scoop it in your palm into the prepared tins.
- Divide mixture into 4x (445g) 1 lb. lightly oiled bread tins.
- Shake sesame seeds on top (optional)
- Bake at gas 3 (170ºC) for one hour or a little under.
We always listen to our bread to decide when it is ready, when it almost stops talking it is ready, still whispering a little though...